Your Image
Lesson 48
第48课
The silent village
寂静的村庄
Why was the village silent?
为什么村子里沉默了?
In this much-travelled world,
在这个旅行频繁的世界里,
there are still thousands of places which are inaccessible to tourists.
仍然有成千上万的地方是无法访问的游客。
We always assume that villagers in remote places are friendly and hospitable.
我们总是假设偏远地区的村民友好好客。
But people who are cut off not only from foreign tourists, but even from their own countrymen can be hostile to travellers.
但是,不仅与外国游客隔绝,甚至与自己的同胞隔绝的人可能对旅行者怀有敌意。
Visits to really remote villages are seldom enjoyable--as my wife and I discovered during a tour through the Balkans.
参观真正偏远的村庄很少令人愉快-正如我和妻子在巴尔干半岛之旅中发现的那样。
We had spent several days in a small town and visited a number of old churches in the vicinity.
我们在一个小镇呆了几天,参观了附近的一些古老的教堂。
These attracted many visitors, for they were not only of great architectural interest, but contained a large number of beautifully preserved frescoes as well.
这些吸引了许多游客,因为它们不仅具有极大的建筑兴趣,而且还包含大量保存完好的壁画。
On the day before our departure, several bus loads of tourists descended on the town.
在我们出发的前一天,几辆公共汽车载着大量的游客来到镇上。
This was more than we could bear, so we decided to spend our last day exploring the countryside.
这超出了我们的承受能力,所以我们决定花最后一天去乡村探险。
Taking a path which led out of the town, we crossed a few fields until we came to a dense wood.
我们走了一条出城的小路,穿过几块田野,来到一片茂密的树林前。
We expected the path to end abruptly, but we found that it traced its way through the trees.
我们预计这条路会突然结束,但我们发现它在树上蜿蜒而过。
We tramped through the wood for over two hours until we arrived at a deep stream.
我们在树林里跋涉了两个多小时,直到我们到达一条深水.
We could see that the path continued on the other side, but we had no idea how we could get across the stream.
我们可以看到这条路继续在另一边,但我们不知道如何穿过这条小溪。
Suddenly my wife spotted a boat moored to the bank. In it there was a boatman fast asleep.
突然,我的妻子发现一艘船停泊在银行。 里面有一个船夫睡着了。
We gently woke him up and asked him to ferry us to the other side.
我们轻轻地叫醒他,让他把我们送到另一边。
Though he was reluctant to do so at first, we eventually persuaded him to take us.
虽然他起初不愿意这样做,但我们最终说服他带我们去。
The path led to a tiny village perched on the steep sides of a mountain.
这条小路通向一个坐落在陡峭山坡上的小村庄.
The place consisted of a straggling unmade road which was lined on either side by small houses.
这个地方包括一条散乱的未修筑的道路,两边都是小房子。
Even under a clear blue sky, the village looked forbidding, as all the houses were built of grey mud bricks.
即使在晴朗的蓝天下,村庄看起来也令人望而却步,因为所有的房子都是用灰色的泥砖砌成的。
The village seemed deserted,
村子里似乎冷清了,
the only sign of life being an ugly-looking black goat on a short length of rope tied to a tree in a field nearby.
生命的唯一标志是一只长相丑陋的黑山羊,用一条短长的绳子绑在附近田野的一棵树上。
Sitting down on a dilapidated wooden fence near the field, we opened a couple of tins of sardines and had a picnic lunch.
我们在田野附近的一个破旧的木栅栏上坐下来,打开了几罐沙丁鱼,吃了一顿野餐午餐。
All at once, I noticed that my wife seemed to be filled with alarm.
一下子,我注意到我的妻子似乎充满了警报。
Looking up I saw that we were surrounded by children in rags who were looking at us silently as we ate.
抬起头,我看到我们周围都是穿着破布的孩子,他们在我们吃饭的时候默默地看着我们。
We offered them food and spoke to them kindly, but they remained motionless.
我们为他们提供食物,并亲切地与他们交谈,但他们一动不动。
I concluded that they were simply shy of strangers.
我的结论是,他们只是害羞的陌生人。
When we later walked down the main street of the village, we were followed by a silent procession of children.
当我们后来走在村里的主要街道上时,后面跟着一群无声的孩子们。
The village which had seemed deserted, immediately came to life.
这个看起来荒芜的村庄立刻生机勃勃.
Faces appeared at windows.
窗户上出现了面孔。
Men in shirt sleeves stood outside their houses and glared at us.
穿着衬衫袖子的男人站在他们的房子外面,瞪着我们。
Old women in black shawls peered at us from doorways.
穿着黑披肩的老妇人从门口看着我们.
The most frightening thing of all was that not a sound could be heard.
最可怕的是一点声音都听不到。
There was no doubt that we were unwelcome visitors.
毫无疑问,我们是不受欢迎的访客。
We needed no further warning.
我们不需要进一步的警告。
Turning back down the main street,
转回主街,
we quickened our pace and made our way rapidly towards the stream where we hoped the boatman was waiting.
我们加快了步伐,迅速向我们希望船夫正在等待的小溪走去。